1. VISUALIZE. First off, you need to have a dream, a vision, a clear idea of what you want. So start off by taking 15 min to sit or lie down in a comfortable place, and let your mind wander and fantasize about all the things that you DO want. Visualize it as if it is already happening. See yourself on that stage, on that Island, behind that camera, flying that airplane, whatever it may be, close your eyes and experience it in your imagination. Be as specific as you can, dream wisely, and enjoy every moment of it. Make this your own kind of meditation. Do it once a day if you can. It’s helpful to do it before you fall asleep at night. You will wake up with that intention in your mind subconsciously.
2. Turn Envious Feelings Into Inspiration. Whenever you see something or someone you wish you could be more like (and you get that little pinch of envy) take that energy as a gift, because your heart is pointing out to you the very specific thing that you desire. You have the opportunity to include that in your wish list. And now add that to your “visual meditations”. These moments help you visualize your highest potential. Instead of thinking “Oh , why can’t I be more like that?” or “Why can’t I have that too” , think— “That’s what I’d like to be doing” or “I’d like to be more like that”. We are all mirrors for one another, helping each other realize our selves. Lets grow from one another instead of comparing to a point of self degradation. Be inspired and inspire. I thank all the women I’ve ever seen playing on stage who made me want to go home and practice.
3. Believe. Every man-made creation on this planet was first conceived as an idea in someones head. A person has to believe something is possible, before it even is, in order to bring that idea into the physical reality. To do so, he or she has to convince others it’s possible in order to have their cooperation. Belief is the gasoline that feeds our engines. It is the wind that propels us forward. Have faith in your ideas, trust your instincts, and go forth. You know the saying: “The only people who never fail are those who never try.” -Ilka Chase. You’ve got one life to live. Learn to take some risks. You can take other people’s advice/mistakes into consideration, in order to stay balanced with their perspective, but don’t let it limit you.
4. Step Out Of Your Comfort Zone. STAY OPEN. Every time you step out of your house you allow something new to happen. Every time you are challenged by something new, you use new parts of your brain. You expand. And this keeps you open, limber, and young spirited. The key to staying vital, is by staying curious. Is by staying adaptable. “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
The changes we are faced in our life challenge us to grow and keep evolving. As harsh as some changes might be, each one is an opportunity from the universe. Get used to it. Most of us are going to be living longer lives than our grandparents did, expect many changes along the way, and different life times within one life. Be ready for it. Stay open. Love the adventure in it. And if you ever reach a point of stagnant reality, challenge yourself to learn something new; read a book or take a crash course in something you’ve always wanted to learn, find a physical activity you can enjoy, go out with a new group of people just to see what happens. That’s when new doors open, new opportunities arrive and the life you’ve envisioned bumps into you.
5. The Work Is Your Leisure. The four steps before this one are important. But this fifth crucial step seals the deal. Make sure you do at least one thing a day that advances your initial vision further. One thing a day if you’re really busy. Over time you will find yourself doing more. I don’t like to call it work because it is a pleasure to make your dreams come true. If you are passionate about what you want, be excited that you are taking a step towards your dream. Even if it is one little tiny step- know that you are moving Forward. And let that make you happy in that moment. Don’t work hard. Work Smart. Everyday a little. But EVERYDAY. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out…”— Robert J. Collier
*Most importantly, trust your feelings.
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” - Buddha